Setting up a Government Gateway Account
This guide will show you how to create a government gateway account in the simplest way and link it to all your relevant taxes.
Creating a government gateway account will allow you to manage all of your taxes and their associated details effectively.
We have split this guide into two sections:
Section 1: Creating your government gateway account – which should only be done once per business/individual
Section 2: Adding taxes to your government gateway account – which will need to be done a number of times depending on how many taxes you or your business is registered for.
You do not need to add taxes that you are not registered for. For example if you are not a company you would not need to add corporation tax, if you are not VAT registered you would not need to add VAT etc.
Section 1: Creating a government gateway account
- Go to HMRC’s log in page
- Click the green ‘sign in’ button
- Click ‘Create sign in details’
- Enter your email address when asked
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code, use this code to confirm your email address
- Once your email is verified you will be asked for your full name and to create a password
- You will now be issued with a user ID for your government gateway account – see TIP.
- You will then be asked to select what type of account you need, it will either be ‘individual’ if you are self-employed or ‘organisation’ if you are a limited company (you can add your self-assessment for directors to the same account if you are a company so there is no need for two government gateway accounts)
- You will then be asked to add an additional security step
Print this page to PDF and save it somewhere safe in your documents. Losing this ID can create a lot more trouble for you in the future.
You have now created your government gateway account.
Section 2: Adding taxes to your government gateway account
Now that you have set up your government gateway account, you will need to add each tax that is relevant to you.
These taxes could include:
- Corporation tax (companies)
- PAYE for Employers (if your business operates a payroll)
- VAT (if your business is VAT registered)
- Self-assessment (for self-employed people or limited company directors)
To add a service, you will need to do the following:
- From the business tax summary page, click ‘manage account’
- Then select ‘Get online access to a tax, duty or scheme’
- Select the tax you want to add and click the green button
- Each specific tax will require specific information relating to that tax
• Corporation tax – Company UTR
• PAYE for Employers – PAYE reference and accounts office reference
• VAT – VAT number
• Self-assessment – Personal UTR
If you are a client of The Orenda Collective, you can access all this information from the portal.
- After you have added the tax, HMRC will then post an activation code to your registered address
- Once the code arrives, log back in, and input the code
You will now be set up for the relevant tax on your government gateway account.